Self-Directed IRA - Basic Principles for CPAs
This presentation will inform and educate CPAs regarding the rules related to private (i.e. alternative) investments held by tax advantaged accounts (IRA, HSA, 401(k)). The asset choices and diversification opportunities available through “self-directed” accounts can be a powerful tool for a retirement strategy, and this presentation will put CPAs in an enhanced position to speak to their clients about these possibilities.
The presentation will focus on key rules and concepts that shape the way these accounts work. CPAs familiar with the basic rules of retirement and other tax advantaged plans can expect to broaden their understanding of the rules and issues associated with alternative assets in these plans.
This class delivers a core knowledge base related to the topic, and this knowledge base serves as a launching point for the more detailed 2 hour classes also offered by AMICPE.
The participant will learn key concepts and rules associated with retirement plans acquiring “alternative” assets such as real estate, precious metals, private equity, and more.
- Summary of §§ 408 and 401 highlights: plan types and specifications.
- Prohibited transactions and disqualified persons
- Key Rules and Concepts that affect IRA investing
- Services provided by non-fiduciary custodians and plan record-keepers.
- How to expand your business to include services for clients related to self-directed IRAs.
No advance preparation required
Level of Knowledge
Group Internet Based
NASBA Field of Study